Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Sun Dog
Anyone notice the Sun Dog on Monday? You may say, "Er?" or "Say what?" or "What kinda dog did you see?". . . or you may know (unlike I did until a day ago) that a Sun Dog is "a small halo or rainbow near the horizon just off the parhelic circle." (according to the American Heritage Dictionary) When it is very cold outside the water in the air forms ice crystals that reflect the sun and form a rainbow. On Monday morning there were 2 rainbows on either side of the rising sun shooting straight up into the clouds. Another way to notice the Sun Dog phenomenon is perhaps while you're driving when it's really cold (like 0 degrees or colder) the headlights of cars (or the street lights) seem to shine or reflect straight up and down instead of the usual star pattern. I wish I had gotten a picture of that Sun Dog, it was so cool, but I was at work. Bummer. But if I hadn't been at work I likely wouldn't have been up early enough to see it anyway. However if you google it, you'll get pictures similar to what I saw!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment