Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Egg Splosion

While home alone, hard boiled eggs is one of the few foods I can make. I bring them to a boil, set a timer for 10 minutes, and occupy myself elsewhere. The past two times I've been too impatient to wait for the water to begin boiling before leaving the kitchen. So I thought I would leave the kitchen for two minutes and come back to set the timer when the water was boiling. I now know that I can get completely side tracked in under two minutes.


The first time I was vacuuming in a different room. Suddenly it dawned on me that I had left the eggs on the stove. Upon entering the kitchen I noticed that the pan was completely dry, and one of the eggs was missing. Then I noticed that fragments of it were scattered across the counter and kitchen floor.



Last time I was sitting in front of the TV when I heard a loud pop, and what sounded like glass shattering. When I looked in the kitchen I found a pan tilted on it's side, all the water completely dry. One of the eggs was sitting in it, looking quite volatile. The other had completely exploded all over the kitchen. I cleaned the mess off the floor and counter. A few days later Melissa and I were in the kitchen when she became silent and pointed up. Apparently some of the egg did not end up on the floor or counter.


I think I've finally learned my lesson.

4 comments:

Randy and Erin said...

I've had similar experiences with eggs in the microwave, but at least the blast is contained in a small space. Hunger is my best reminder that I have something cooking. You must not have been hungry enough when you began boiling because your stomach should have been nagging at you for all 10 minutes.

Darren said...

who microwaves eggs?

joshwall said...

Finally, time to catch up on your blog!! You made me chuckle, Jason! I tend to forget cooking food all the time, but usually it just burns or does something not nearly so interesting as an explosion!

Anonymous said...

oops. That comment was megan not josh. forgot who was logged in!