Number 3 - Leelanau State Park to Empire, 46 miles
This happens to also be my favorite ride of all time. I rode this route in June of 2006 during the second day of the Steensma bicycle tour. The day prior we rode 30 miles from Traverse City to the tip of the Leelanau Peninsula. We camped in tents right on the lake shore. Being on the northern tip of the peninsula, we could watch the sun rise over the lake in the morning and set on the lake at night. We started biking early in the morning, with me, Darren, and Evan in a group together. We rode in perfect cadence, in a straight line with only a foot between us, going about 20mph. The front man would pedal hard both up hill and down. The other two would “coast” in his draft. When the front man was tired he shifted to the back and let the next man take lead. The scenery was fantastic. We rode with hilly dunes around us, through small towns, among wine vineyards, and with the lake shore at our side. It was also memorable the way we biked as a team so that we rode the course faster together then any of us could ride it alone. We ended the trip in Empire where grandpa and my dad were waiting with the car. Uncle Roger, Uncle Dan, and Seth soon joined us and we spent the rest of the day at Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Number 2 - Grandville to Nunica to Grandville, 49 miles
This was the worst ride of my life. I’m not sure exactly when it took place, but probably in the summer of 2000. I was bored one Sunday afternoon, so with no planning whatsoever I decided to ride to my Uncle Roger’s house in Spring Lake. I thought I could surprise them at their house, rest, refuel, and head home. I brought no food and no money. On the way there I realized how far it was, and I began to get hungry from all the calories I was burning on the bike. I thought if I made it to their house I could get a snack to refuel. When I got to Nunica I noticed how low the sun was getting, and to make it home before dark I had to turn around there. I didn’t know how much farther it was to Spring Lake, and to be honest I didn’t know exactly how to get to their house either. I headed home, and that’s when my hunger really got the best of me. I felt famished and started going very slow. At times I thought I couldn't make it all the way back. After 5 hours on the bike the only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that the faster I rode home, the sooner my agony would be over. When I got home the sun had set, but there was still light outside. I immediately ate as much food as I could. Then I laid down in the middle of the floor, and did not move for a long time. Ironically, the route was nice. There where peaceful farms in Hudsonville, a bridge over the Grand River in Allendale, and Leonard Street along the Grand River is spectacular. Maybe I’ll have another chance to ride this route under better circumstances.
Number 1 - Spring Lake to Pickerel Lake, 51 miles
Again, I’m not exactly sure when this ride happened. It was in the summer, probably 1998. Uncle Roger had the idea of riding our bikes up to the cottage. After hearing Uncle Roger and Uncle Dan’s biking stories of old, Evan and I thought an all-day ride sounded fun. I spent Friday night at Uncle Roger and Aunt Beth’s house in Spring Lake. We woke up very early Saturday morning and began biking, and rode our bikes to McDonalds for breakfast. We took a rail to trail where a deer crossed the path in front of us. We rode through the small town of Ravenna, and over a bridge that spanned a deep gorge cut by the Muskegon River. When we got to the cottage Evan and Uncle Roger were exhausted, probably because they both used mountain bikes. They immediately sat in recliners and slept the entire afternoon. I was young and sprightly at the time, so upon arriving at the cottage I jumped off my bike and played basketball. Later that afternoon my mom told me I should also take a nap, so I went waterskiing with Randy.
I’ve had a few long rides, but never much more than a half century. Hmmm, could my next big endurance challenge be biking 100 miles in one day? Stay tuned…
Number 2 - Grandville to Nunica to Grandville, 49 miles
This was the worst ride of my life. I’m not sure exactly when it took place, but probably in the summer of 2000. I was bored one Sunday afternoon, so with no planning whatsoever I decided to ride to my Uncle Roger’s house in Spring Lake. I thought I could surprise them at their house, rest, refuel, and head home. I brought no food and no money. On the way there I realized how far it was, and I began to get hungry from all the calories I was burning on the bike. I thought if I made it to their house I could get a snack to refuel. When I got to Nunica I noticed how low the sun was getting, and to make it home before dark I had to turn around there. I didn’t know how much farther it was to Spring Lake, and to be honest I didn’t know exactly how to get to their house either. I headed home, and that’s when my hunger really got the best of me. I felt famished and started going very slow. At times I thought I couldn't make it all the way back. After 5 hours on the bike the only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that the faster I rode home, the sooner my agony would be over. When I got home the sun had set, but there was still light outside. I immediately ate as much food as I could. Then I laid down in the middle of the floor, and did not move for a long time. Ironically, the route was nice. There where peaceful farms in Hudsonville, a bridge over the Grand River in Allendale, and Leonard Street along the Grand River is spectacular. Maybe I’ll have another chance to ride this route under better circumstances.Number 1 - Spring Lake to Pickerel Lake, 51 miles
Again, I’m not exactly sure when this ride happened. It was in the summer, probably 1998. Uncle Roger had the idea of riding our bikes up to the cottage. After hearing Uncle Roger and Uncle Dan’s biking stories of old, Evan and I thought an all-day ride sounded fun. I spent Friday night at Uncle Roger and Aunt Beth’s house in Spring Lake. We woke up very early Saturday morning and began biking, and rode our bikes to McDonalds for breakfast. We took a rail to trail where a deer crossed the path in front of us. We rode through the small town of Ravenna, and over a bridge that spanned a deep gorge cut by the Muskegon River. When we got to the cottage Evan and Uncle Roger were exhausted, probably because they both used mountain bikes. They immediately sat in recliners and slept the entire afternoon. I was young and sprightly at the time, so upon arriving at the cottage I jumped off my bike and played basketball. Later that afternoon my mom told me I should also take a nap, so I went waterskiing with Randy.I’ve had a few long rides, but never much more than a half century. Hmmm, could my next big endurance challenge be biking 100 miles in one day? Stay tuned…

No comments:
Post a Comment