Saturday, July 5, 2008

Pickerel Lake Triathlon

This year's PLT had 23 teams and 34 participants. The weather was fantastic, the water was a perfect temperature, and the air was a little cool. We all lined up and Cindy, our faithful timer, sent us off. The big innovation was Randy's wetsuit which shaved a minute off his swim time. Expect to see more next year.

<


Another special item of note; each individual/team was faster this year than last year.



Melissa and Cheri ran Water Station Number 1. Gail, Charissa, and Molly ran Water Station Number 2.Joe biked around to provide help for any bikers in need. This was needed when Ben attempted to wheelie over the speed-bumps on the back-side of Emerald Lake. It wasn't until the front of his bike was in the air that he discovered his front wheel was not attached. He landed on his fork, and it only got worse from there. Melissa's parents stayed at Castle Inn the week before. Melissa and I stayed with them the night before. Castle Inn is a very nice piece of property. The accommodations of their rental cottage, however, was not fabulous.Melissa wanted me to win in honor of her birthday. Winning would be nice, but I knew I was up against some very fast competitors. So I set a time goal of 1:23:00 - 11:00 swim, 32:00 bike, and 40:00 run including transition times. Soon into the start of the race I could tell that the swim felt more difficult than it should. I felt slow. Melissa told me my time when I got out of the water - 11:17. I was behind my goal, but not too badly. I would need to make it up on the bike.
The bike ride did not begin well for me. I was unable to get my feet into my pedal straps most of the way around the front of Emerald. On Emerald I hit some sand and crashed my bike. Fortunately I landed in the soft sand and didn't get hurt. Unfortunately I lost more time.




On the bike ride I had assumed that Randy was the only athlete ahead of me. Rounding Sylvan I passed Matt on the bike. I wondered why he was biking the course, and only later did I realize he was part of Abbey's relay team which was in second place after the swim.




I also caught Terry on the bike. I passed him on the tunnel into Emerald lake as he was transitioning the bike to Dan. Now the only person ahead of me was Randy. The rest of the bike ride had no hang-ups, and I went as fast as my legs could take me. I ended up having the fastest bike ride, but it was not on pace for my goal.During the run Doug took a bike and told Randy the spacing between him and the second place contender. This happened to be me, so I received several updates on how far behind I was - 1:30, 1:15, 2:00, 3:00.
It would have been nice to know how far ahead of third I was. I kept expecting Paul to pass me because in the Riverbank I started faster than him, but he ended with more finishing power. But I finished very comfortably in second place with no view of either first or third. This is my third year in second place, so I have established myself as the Buffalo Bills of the PLT.



































PlaceNameOverallSwimBikeRunBike Pace (mph)Run Pace (min/mi)
1Randy Elenbaas1:22:320:09:410:33:540:38:5716.810:07:29
2Jason Schaaf1:26:370:11:150:33:450:41:3716.890:08:00
3Paul Soper1:30:130:12:250:37:340:40:1415.170:07:44
4Dan/Terry Kett1:30:480:11:110:38:210:41:1614.860:07:56
5Abby/Matt/Dwayne1:34:140:10:520:41:410:41:4113.670:08:01
6Stewart Aspinall1:36:140:16:350:35:320:44:0716.040:08:29
7Darren Schaaf1:36:570:14:510:35:460:46:2015.940:08:55
8Mark VanHarn1:39:520:12:340:42:020:45:1613.560:08:42
9Dan Kuiper1:39:520:14:050:35:340:50:1316.030:09:39
10Steve Elenbaas1:41:190:13:420:40:540:46:4313.940:08:59
11Dave Geschiere1:41:460:15:010:37:310:49:1415.190:09:28
12Derek Elenbaas1:42:100:17:410:39:400:44:4914.370:08:37
13Roger/Claire Steensma1:47:170:18:140:40:360:48:2714.040:09:19
14Andrew Wiersma1:47:170:12:090:40:330:54:3514.060:10:30
15Dan Wiley1:51:480:13:570:39:340:58:1714.410:11:12
16Mike Johnson1:52:150:12:000:45:450:54:3012.460:10:29
17Marv Elenbaas1:52:240:15:590:43:040:53:2113.240:10:16
18Seth Kuiper1:54:390:15:080:41:250:58:0613.760:11:10
19Grace/Haley/Lydia Elizabeth1:56:270:17:540:45:530:52:4012.420:10:08
20Jenny Scott1:56:430:17:230:48:520:50:2811.660:09:42
21Ben Elenbaas2:05:500:15:320:51:200:58:5811.100:11:20
22Sarah Kuiper2:09:320:17:080:51:171:01:0711.110:11:45
23Ken/Jan/Claude2:10:360:19:500:57:450:53:019.870:10:12
PartialLindsay ElenbaasN/A0:15:131:00:26N/A9.43N/A
PartialJim VerhoefN/AN/AN/A0:47:35N/A0:09:09
PartialErik VerhoefN/AN/AN/A0:48:00N/A0:09:14
PartialJay SchaafN/AN/A0:48:27N/A11.76N/A
































NameSwimSwim Pace (min/mi)
Randy Elenbaas0:09:410:29:03
Abby/Matt/Dwayne0:10:520:32:36
Dan/Terry Kett0:11:110:33:33
Jason Schaaf0:11:150:33:45
Mike Johnson0:12:000:36:00
Andrew Wiersma0:12:090:36:27
Paul Soper0:12:250:37:15
Mark VanHarn0:12:340:37:42
Steve Elenbaas0:13:420:41:06
Dan Wiley0:13:570:41:51
Dan Kuiper0:14:050:42:15
Darren Schaaf0:14:510:44:33
Dave Geschiere0:15:010:45:03
Seth Kuiper0:15:080:45:24
Lindsay Elenbaas0:15:130:45:39
Ben Elenbaas0:15:320:46:36
Marv Elenbaas0:15:590:47:57
Stewart Aspinall0:16:350:49:45
Sarah Kuiper0:17:080:51:24
Jenny Scott0:17:230:52:09
Derek Elenbaas0:17:410:53:03
Grace/Haley/Lydia Elizabeth0:17:540:53:42
Roger/Claire Steensma0:18:140:54:42
Ken/Jan/Claude0:19:500:59:30

































NameBikeBike Pace (mph)
Jason Schaaf0:33:4516.89
Randy Elenbaas0:33:5416.81
Stewart Aspinall0:35:3216.04
Dan Kuiper0:35:3416.03
Darren Schaaf0:35:4615.94
Dave Geschiere0:37:3115.19
Paul Soper0:37:3415.17
Dan/Terry Kett0:38:2114.86
Dan Wiley0:39:3414.41
Derek Elenbaas0:39:4014.37
Andrew Wiersma0:40:3314.06
Roger/Claire Steensma0:40:3614.04
Steve Elenbaas0:40:5413.94
Seth Kuiper0:41:2513.76
Abby/Matt/Dwayne0:41:4113.67
Mark VanHarn0:42:0213.56
Marv Elenbaas0:43:0413.24
Mike Johnson0:45:4512.46
Grace/Haley/Lydia Elizabeth0:45:5312.42
Jay Schaaf0:48:2711.76
Jenny Scott0:48:5211.66
Sarah Kuiper0:51:1711.11
Ben Elenbaas0:51:2011.10
Ken/Jan/Claude0:57:459.87
Lindsay Elenbaas1:00:269.43


































NameRunRun Pace (min/mi)
Randy Elenbaas0:38:570:07:29
Paul Soper0:40:140:07:44
Dan/Terry Kett0:41:160:07:56
Jason Schaaf0:41:370:08:00
Abby/Matt/Dwayne0:41:410:08:01
Stewart Aspinall0:44:070:08:29
Derek Elenbaas0:44:490:08:37
Mark VanHarn0:45:160:08:42
Darren Schaaf0:46:200:08:55
Steve Elenbaas0:46:430:08:59
Jim Verhoef0:47:350:09:09
Erik Verhoef0:48:000:09:14
Roger/Claire Steensma0:48:270:09:19
Dave Geschiere0:49:140:09:28
Dan Kuiper0:50:130:09:39
Jenny Scott0:50:280:09:42
Grace/Haley/Lydia Elizabeth0:52:400:10:08
Ken/Jan/Claude0:53:010:10:12
Marv Elenbaas0:53:210:10:16
Mike Johnson0:54:300:10:29
Andrew Wiersma0:54:350:10:30
Seth Kuiper0:58:060:11:10
Dan Wiley0:58:170:11:12
Ben Elenbaas0:58:580:11:20
Sarah Kuiper1:01:070:11:45




































































































Comparison with Last Year20072008Time Diff% Impr
Mike Johnson2:34:191:52:150:42:0437.5%
Derek Elenbaas 2:01:48 1:42:10 0:19:38 19.2%
Seth Kuiper2:10:261:54:390:15:4713.8%
Dave Geschiere1:52:041:41:460:10:1810.1%
Paul Soper1:37:401:30:130:07:278.3%
Ken/Jan/Claude 2:19:26 2:10:36 0:08:50 6.8%
Grace/Haley/Lydia Elizabeth 2:02:56 1:56:27 0:06:29 5.6%
Dan Kuiper1:44:171:39:520:04:254.4%
Sarah Kuiper2:13:01 2:09:32 0:03:29 2.7%
Steve Elenbaas1:43:121:41:190:01:531.9%
Jason Schaaf1:27:251:26:370:00:480.9%
Randy Elenbaas1:23:061:22:320:00:340.7%















































4-Year Solo Finisher 2005 200620072008
Jason Schaaf1:35:591:24:521:27:251:26:37
Randy Elenbaas1:35:311:32:411:23:061:22:32
Paul Soper1:40:411:33:171:37:401:30:13
Steve Elenbaas2:02:411:53:091:43:121:41:19

2 comments:

Cheri said...

the ultrasound pictures of the feet are my favorite! they're so cute. :) would it be possible for you guys to e-mail me a few of those triathalon pictures (for the wedding slide show) - particularly, the one of us 4? thanks!!! love, cheri

Anonymous said...

why are there so many bleeping elenbases running in this race?