Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Decks are fun!

Last week we took on the thankless, seemingly unending task of staining the deck. This is truly a chore of being an adult . . . and having your own house to take care of. The task actually began last fall when Jason spent an entire Saturday cleaning and preparing the deck. The bad news is a deck may only be stained during a three day period of solid sunshine, which never happened after Jason’s day of cleaning. So, on my first day off this week I spent the whole time re-cleaning the deck w/soap solution and a brush. On the second day I spent the whole day staining the horrible whoever-invented-a-privacy-fence-should-be-shot walls. On day three: more of day two.
Then, when I had to work, Jason spent the whole day Saturday doing more of day 2 & 3 plus he got to the horizontal floor area, but of course we ran out of stain and the store had already closed. The next day I was off I finished the floor and steps. It currently looks much better, but we’re probably going to give the floor one more coat, just because it takes a lot of sun and abuse. I’m very thankful we cut down part of the privacy fence last year so we had a little less to stain than the previous owner. So seriously, what do we do when in 3-5 years we have to take on this huge task again?

No comments: