Saturday, May 10, 2008

Riverbank Run

It was a beautiful day to become a four time Riverbanker.
I was a little unsure of my capability going into this Riverbank because I hadn't timed my training runs, and some of my training was done in the pool. I thought I could finish between 2:05 and 2:10. I decided to start at 2:00 pace (7:43min/mi) and hold that as long as I could. My life goal is to beat 2 hours. I figured it was worth a shot with such perfect running conditions, but I expected to fade at the end due to exhaustion.
I started well. Darren ran with me for the first 3 miles. Randy started with his uncle Paul in the 8:30 pace group. I rounded the turn at Wilson, and made it through the half-way point feeling good. At mile 8 the course has a few hills. At mile 9 I could feel myself getting short on breath. I was slowing down. At mile 11 the 8min/mi pace runner passed me and slowly pulled away. 2 hours was now out of the question. I wondered how badly I would fade, and if I could stay ahead of Randy and Paul who were planning on finishing between 2:05 and 2:10. At mile 13 Uncle Paul passed me. I was struggling mightily, but he was chipper and happy. I struggled all the way to the end where I saw Melissa, Erin & Evie, Tom & Lisa. On the other side of the street where my parents and my nephew Jay.
In the last quarter mile Tim, from work, pulled ahead of me. I couldn't let him beat me, so I pulled back in front of him. He wanted it too, so we both pseudo-sprinted to the finish. It was kind of a mute point because my time was going to be better due to our starting positions. But pride was on the line. I lacked for air so badly that I felt like vomiting, but I couldn't because I was breathing too hard. I just kept pushing harder despite feeling like I was choking on my own tongue, choking for air...drowning on the middle of the road...just keep running. Then I heard my co-worker cuss at me, and he gave up his chase. It's always good to be pushed at the end.






This was the first year I ran slower than the year prior.





I stayed relatively well on pace for the first half in 1:00:35.

The second half was slower at 1:05:27.





Overall I did 2:06:03 @ 8:08min/mi pace.




Darren did 2:29:53




Randy did 2:12:47




The surprise of the day was Uncle Paul who did 2:03:00.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

look at the beanpoles