Sunday, June 29, 2008

Steensma Bike Tour

This years tour included Grandpa, Ken, Roger, Dave, Dan, Seth, Jay, and me.


We decided to bike the south-eastern corner of Lake Michigan.


Friday night we stayed at a rental cottage in Buchanan. It was very reminiscent of Little Switzerland.

Saturday we were dropped off at Three Oaks and biked the Lake Michigan Trail Loop. We also biked back to the campground. We figured this to be a 50+ mile day. One memory was the mansions on the lake owned by all the rich Chicago folks.

When Uncle Dave and I were biking back to Fuller's Resort we wanted to make sure we knew where we were going. We knew we were within 5 miles of the campground, but wanted to make sure we knew the way. We stopped at a fruit stand to ask some locals for help. None had ever heard of Fuller's Campground (which has been around for like 80 years). One went so far as to say, "I've lived here my whole life, and I've never heard of Fuller's Campground or Clear Lake." I don't think they got off the farm much.


So we rode ahead and found an open house for a new development. We refilled our water bottles in the air-conditioned comfort of the model house, and helped ourselves to some of the chocolate sitting out on the counter.


After biking we swam in the lake and spent Saturday night at Fuller's.



Sunday morning Dan and Seth had to take off for Church duties. The rest of us drove to Niles and biked 30 miles up the VanBuren State Park. This was particularly difficult for me because I had to do it on Jay's mountain bike. After arriving at VanBuren we pitched tent, and Dave and I rode to South Haven while Roger prepared dinner.

Sunday night we camped in very strong winds, and nobody slept well. Monday we biked from VanBuren to South Haven where Dan and Seth met us. We then biked to Saugatuck.

A few memories...the road we wanted to take with spectacular views along a bluff above Lake Michigan didn't go through like the maps said because there was a wash-out. I happened many years ago, and they said several huge cottages went into the lake.


Also, we took the hand-cranked ferry from Douglas to Saugatuck.


We had lunch on the second-floor deck of a quint restaurant. I can now add 'walked around Saugatuck in biker shorts' to my list of life accomplishments.

No comments: