Thursday, January 18, 2007

So Crafty!

I have the best friends! I may not have lots of friends, but the friends I have are so great! Like today for example, my friend Melissa from work comes over to give me my Christmas gift. Since we both had to work Christmas Day we decided to do a gift exchange – we said, like $10 or so. So, on Christmas, I was all excited I had gotten her just some odds and ends decorations etc. . . stuff I thought she would like, and I think she did, but she gives me a card saying “I want to make you a quilt, tell me what colors you like and I’ll make a quilt for you.” I was like, wow, that’s so great b/c she had shown me a baby quilt she was working on earlier and I loved it and said, partially joking, “You’ll make one for me when I have a kid, right?” So anyway, she came over and pulls out this beautiful quilt she made and it’s perfect! That really got me to thinking how much I love to get home made gifts and how much more it really means when you know someone made something just for you and spent a lot of time on it. I think that’s partially the reason I love to crochet for people. Several years ago I crocheted hats and gloves for all my housemates in college, and also crocheted scarves for my mom, dad, aunt and uncle. I’ve also crocheted “wedding blankets” for some of my friends who have gotten married. I’ve drawn a few pictures for some friends too. When I was younger I cross-stitched a picture for my mom (that she still has hanging in her sewing room, might I add). I guess it’s just something I enjoy, a way to release my creative energy! I do have to say, though, that it’s hard to give away something that I spent a lot of time on. Although so far all the things I’ve given away, I have the chance to see still if I want to by going over to the recipient’s house. So I thought I’d showcase a few things I’ve gotten recently or over the years that are some of my favorite meaningful gifts. My mom cross-stitched a picture for our wedding. . . My parents gave us a picture that is of chalk and watercolor that a family friend (who is an artist) drew . . . Another stitched sampler my friend, Lauren, gave us for our wedding. . . A basket my friend, Val, gave me for Christmas with all home-made food, spices, recipes. . . And there are many other items in my house that are just so thoughtfully made or picked out that we've gotten as gifts and every time I look at them I remember the giver. I love that! So, thanks to all my wonderful, awesome, creative, artistic friends and family. I love you all!

1 comment:

Jan Bos said...

WOW! What creative family and friends you have! It was a surprise to see my picture, when I thought I was going on to check out the quilt.
You are very creative which is why you love to do things like that, also. Love, Me